Nothing beats the relaxing experience you enjoy when getting a massage. This is all the more so if you have had a long and tiring week and you just want to unwind. For many people, an oil massage is a special and rare treat. Your body can greatly benefit from this form of massage in many exciting ways.
The Beginnings of Oil Massage
The history of massage treatment dates back 3,000 years ago and based on early documentation, it shows that massage techniques were originally developed in India, Egypt, and China. Oil massage is the primary component in Ayurvedic medicine, which is a holistic practice in India that dates back to 1,500 BCE. During the 1800s, a doctor from Sweden started to extensively use the techniques and for the past five decades, it has surprisingly become accepted in the United States and many parts around the world.
Oil Massage and Its Health Benefits
Oil massage is known to have a long list of benefits for your body, mind, and spirit.
- Based on a published research study, oil massage is found to help promote better circulation.
- Oil massage can support the nervous and musculoskeletal system to prevent injuries.
- This form of massage contributes to proper sleep cycle.
- It improves posture and alignment.
- It relieves joint pain.
- Study findings learned that massages reduces anxiety and stress.
- It promotes deep relaxation and breathing.
- Oil massage can prevent perineal damage when giving birth.
- This type of massage can contribute to feelings of closeness and care.
- The oil used for oil massage can improve and nourish your skin’s health.
Types of Oil Used for Oil Massage
Different oils can be used for oil massage, the most preferred of which are natural products such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil, and sesame oil. Other oils such as olive oil, and avocado oil can also be used although these might be too greasy or thick and must be combined instead with lighter oils. You could even drop several drops of essential oils like rose or lavender oil. It is important to always consider allergies. For example, people who have latex allergy might experience negative reactions when avocado oil is used.
How is Oil Massage Performed?
People of all ages and bodies can take advantage of oil massage, including babies to elderly people. You can even massage yourself, your family member, or your partner if you like.
Techniques from Ayurvedic tradition are perfect for oil massage.
- The use of oil for anointing the body as well as slow gentle motions for releasing muscle tension is a technique everyone can perform.
- Gentle pressure can be used to massage warm oil on the feet, legs, arms, neck, abdomen, and even scalp while sitting, laying, or standing.
- Get this chance to clear your mind and breathe deeply and allow positive thoughts into your body.
- An oil massage is an exciting form of indulgence that everyone deserves.