Your back has been killing you for days, your neck is cracking each time you try to look up, and your headache is getting worse. Obviously, you can use some pampering. A good kind of massage is what you need to get rid of the pain and make your muscles feel relaxed and supple all over again. But, what kind of massage should you choose in the first place
Massage is a term that can be a bit confusing. It is possible to go for a Swedish massage that will help loosen those tired muscles, or you can also indulge in relaxation massage which is both a physical and spiritual experience at the same time. Aside from these, there is the targeted massage, such as a deep tissue which will lessen muscle stress in a particular spot, like your lower back or shoulders. A few of these techniques are pretty much treatments of spa style, while others may need the help of a physical therapist or done in the office of a chiropractor as an important aspect of a general wellness program.
You can also choose to try other techniques which will shake you, rock you, knead those muscles, or make the most out of your pressure points in order for your energy to flow in the proper direction.
Check out some of the basic massage styles right now:
- Hot stone massage – Using the combination of massage techniques which employ pressure and heat, hot stone massage makes use of smooth stones of different sizes to induce muscle relaxation and stimulate the natural healing energies of the body. These stones can become as hot as 54 degrees Celsius which means that you have to be ready.
- Acupressure – It is a form of classic treatment based on a belief that healing energy is released once pressure has been applied on key body parts. No needles are used in acupressure unlike in acupuncture.
- Swedish massage – As one of the most common and popular forms of massage, the Swedish massage relieves pain, promotes relaxations, and enhances circulation through manipulating and stroking the muscles in a less aggressive manner compared to deep tissue massage.
- Lomi Lomi – It is a Hawaiian massage style which uses rubbing techniques, direct pressure, and spiritualism to encourage spiritual harmony and whole body health.
- Shiatsu – With the use of traditional direct pressure massage techniques of the Chinese, Shiatsu massage helps balance the body’s meridians which correspond to the four elements water, earth, fire, and air.
- Thai massage – This blended technique uses yoga principles and Western massage therapies. This is done while the client is clothed and seated on the yoga mat. This uses several yoga poses with the guidance of a technician.
- Orthopedic massage – Usually an aspect of therapeutic rehabilitation program after an injury, this form of massage is designed to treat certain areas or conditions of the body. This promotes healing and increases strength, flexibility, and mobility.
Your massage therapist will be able to recommend you the best massage style that suits your needs.